YouTube Video: Sarah Barielles BRAVE
Listen to the beautiful words and voice from Sarah Barielles. You need to be brave to respect and understand these rights we all have but sometimes forget. Watch the video. I think it is very inspiring.
Today I decided to change up just a little. I normally would post an inspirational quote. Today, however, I have something special I would like to post related to an inspirational quote.
When my husband and I were in therapy my therapist gave me a list of “Basic Human Rights”. I found this list to be very helpful and encouraging to me. It helped me understand what my rights were as a woman, mother, wife and business person. I will share these right with you today.
These rights are not specific to any gender. It is the rights we all have and they are something we need to remember and respect for ourselves and for others.
1. The right to have and express your own feelings and opinions
2. The right to be treated with respect
3. The right to feel and express anger
4. The right to say “no”
5. The right to set your own limits and priorities
6. The right not to live up to other people’s expectations of you
7. The right not to be “Superman,” “Superwoman,” “Superboss,” “Supermother,”, etc.
8. The right to be treated with courtesy and respect
9. The right to ask for what you want and have your needs be as important as the needs of other people
10. The right to see what you pay for
11. The right to ask for help
12. The right to ask that others change their behaviors that violate your own rights and to have a preference about how others act.
13. The right to make mistakes
14. The right not to be brilliant, attractive, slim, and witty
15. The right to privacy
16. The right to forgive yourself
17. The right to forgive others
18. The right to change your mind
19. The right to not feel responsible for others’ feelings and behaviors
20. The right to choose not to assert yourself
Source: Judith A. Belmont, M.S. (2006) * 86 T.I.P.S. for the Therapeutic Toolbox * http://www.worksiteinsights.com